Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:35:04 -0500

Hi Urs (et al.),

> I think it would be easier to develop such a thing as a library, as a work in
> progress. When including it into LilyPond it the stakes are quite high, and
> this might be a reason for never getting to that point …

+1

> I'd see the attitude towards reviewing contributions stricter than with
> openLilyLib which is basically something where about anything can be added
> to, but definitely mroe easy-going than the LilyPond review process.

+1

> What I'm thinking about is a two-part hierarchy: one directory with building
> blocks and one with to-be-included style sheets.
> The building blocks are organized by type:

That makes basic sense to me — once we put together a set of those (and I’ve
already got foundations for all of them), we can see if there needs to be an
adjustment.

> A concrete stylesheet like /stylesheets/piano/a4/henle.ily will include
> anything from the  building blocks and add any necessary additional tweaks.
> The actual hierarchy of the stylesheets directory structure is something that
> should be discussed in advance, and for that I think we should collect ideas
> what *kinds* of stylesheets we'd expect to want/have and what combinations
> should be possible (note: not all "fields" of the "matrix" have to be
> implemented).

One technical question: Are there any things to watch out for with regard to
“unintentional overwrites”? For example, if I say

    system-system-spacing = #’((minimum-distance . 0) (padding . 3))

in one stylesheet, and then in a “later” one say

    system-system-spacing.padding = #1

or

    system-system-spacing = #’((padding . 3))

what’s the minimum-distance in each case?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>