Re: Staccato

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: Staccato
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:53:20 +0000

Dear Cynthia,

The rules about articulation placement are solidly established and differ depending on whether a staff has a single voice or two. The extract you quoted from Read is the rule as it applies to a single voice. When two voices share a staff the articulation placement is reversed (think about what would happen when both voices have articulations - they would all end up in the middle of the staff if placed on the notehead side, which would be very difficult to read). I would be very surprised if Read neglected to mention this exception to the rule, so maybe it's worth rereading to double check. My library has this book in storage, so it will be a number of days before I can check myself.

Kevin

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knoop <address@hidden> wrote:
At 22:01 on 19 Jan 2015, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Jan 19, 2015, at 9:43 PM, Cynthia Karl <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> You must have an intimate knowledge of LP source code to be able to
>> say that. […] How would anyone know what \dotsDown does?
>
>1. Search the contents of the application for “dotsDown” — find 4
>results.

Actually you don't even need to grep the code to discover this.
"\dotsDown" in the Notation Reference index links to the "Durations"
page and is introduced as a predefined command at the end of the
section discussing dotted note lengths.

Likewise in section 1.3.1 Expressive marks attached to notes:

    The rules for the default placement of articulations are defined in
    ‘scm/script.scm’. Articulations and ornamentations may be manually
    placed above or below the staff; see Direction and placement.

    Articulations are Script objects. Their properties are described
    more fully in Script.

Cynthia, perhaps you could suggest a way to make this easier to find?

--
Mark Knoop