Re: instrumentSwitch and addInstrumentDefinition use

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: instrumentSwitch and addInstrumentDefinition use
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:51:13 -0500

Hi Keith,

> By saying "reedPlayer stores written pitches", I meant only that the
> \transpose{...} operations, to tell LilyPond which notes should be printed at
> which transposition, were included in the variable reedPlayer.

Thanks for the clarification.

> You could try the attached modification (to avoid transposition of cues) of
> Jan-Peter's method.

> part = { g'4 b' d'' fis'' R1
>        \instrumentSwitch "cl Bflat" \bar"||"\key\default
>        g'4 b' d'' fis'' R1
>        \instrumentSwitch "flute" \bar"||"\key\default
>        g'4 b' d'' fis'' R1 }
> global = { \key g\major s1*4  }
> \new Staff \with { \printTransposition }
> \new Voice << \global \part >>

This is really great, IMO!

So…

1. What do others think?

2. What would be required so that the \bar "||” \key \default stuff could be
avoided (e.g., could be abstracted either in the global, or somewhere better)?
Because right now, writing

   \new Staff \with { \printTransposition } \new Voice << \global \part >>
   \new Staff \new Voice << \global \part >>

one gets [as expected] the key signature(s) unnecessarily reprinted at each
switch point in the second (concert) score.

3. In a perfect world, either \instrumentSwitch would take two music
expressions (i.e., one for the “prep” period, one for the “playing” period), or
there would be an \instrumentPrep macro — primarily to deal with the markup
activities (e.g., “take clarinet”), but possibly for other things. Which do you
think is ultimately a better solution?

Thanks!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer