Get string number from TabStaff note

From: address@hidden
Subject: Get string number from TabStaff note
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:54:50 +0100

Is it possible to know which string a note is placed on in a TabStaff.

E.g.

%% Start
\version "2.19.15"

melody = { c'4 }

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { \melody }
    \new TabStaff { \melody }

}
%% End

Here the note c'4 is placed on the second string of the TabStaff.
Since I want to do different things (\transpose) depending on which string the note is on, I need to know the string number and I need to know it before it is "printed" on the TabStaff ( I want to transpose the note differently depending on which string it is on)

Is this possible?

--
English isn't my first language.
So any error or strangeness is due to the translation.