Re: horizontal control

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: horizontal control
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:51:25 +0100

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 7:31 PM, address@hidden <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, making a couple other measures wider would likely also do the
>> trick.  In trying to create a small file which demonstrates the problem I am
>> mystified as when I excerpt the section I want to change the excerpt doesn't
>> display the problem.  I'll have to try to see why.  Another thing I want to
>> do is to shorten the stems on some beamed notes.  I can shorten them on
>> separately flagged ones, but I have not found how to shorten beamed stems.
>> Hints?
>
> About the length of stems if notes are beamed you have to edit
> the Beam.positions rather than the stems.

Not necassary. See example below.
Although, it's likely easiest.

> It's not a very elegant override
> as you have to set the absolute positions of the beams, that is, you can't
> simply reduce their height by a fixed amount - you have to choose the staff
> line/space where they will stop (with 0 being the midline of the staff and
> positive values above and negative values below), [...]

You could use 'offset'

Example:

\version "2.19.15"

\relative {
  \once \offset positions #'(-1 . -1) Beam
  b8 b b b
  \once \offset positions #'(1 . -1) Beam
  b c d e
  \override Stem.details.beamed-lengths =
  #'(2.26 4.5 13.6)
  %% default is '(3.26 3.5 3.6)
  %% determing length for beamed 8 16 32-and-shorter
  \override Stem.no-stem-extend = ##t
  b b b b
  b16 c d e
  f32 g a b c d e f