Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 08:15:19 -0700 (MST)

Michael,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Michael Hendry [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Experimenting with custom-line-breaks-engraver, I've found that it doesn't work correctly if the number of bars to be printed per line exceeds 9, e.g.       \consists #(custom-line-breaks-engraver '(10))

A 37 bar song comes out with 10, 10, 5, 5 and 7 bars per line, instead of the expected 10, 10, 10 and 7.

Specifying (10 10 10 7) doesn't work either.

This isn't a real problem for me, as I usually use 4 bars to the line for lead sheets (or 8 bars to the line if the notation is sparse and the song is long).

I don't have any knowledge of Scheme to correct such a brilliantly useful piece of work - it's going to save me hours of time messing about with \noBreak and \break commands!

I can't say I've used the custom-line-breaks-engraver, but whenever I need to engrave something particularly tight, I like to use the following two overrides:

\layout {
  \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f
  \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f
}

These force LilyPond to break only when YOU tell it to, via \break and \page Break. You may not need the page-break one.

HTH,
Abraham