Re: staccato dots and slurs in second voice

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: staccato dots and slurs in second voice
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 17:50:23 -0600

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 2:15 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Kieren,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David,

> This situation with staccato dots is more complex, however.  Gould says: "Staccato dots and wedges by themselves look best centred on a stem ... although many editions do centre them on the notehead" (118).

Good point.
Perhaps it could/should be a parameter?

Certainly.  I've been thinking about this situation.  The difficulty is that the X-offset of the staccato dot (Script) is set independently of the ScriptColumn, of which it has no knowledge (i.e., a pointer).  This makes "position yourself this way unless there are simultaneous articulations" impossible at the moment.

Looks like it's not a problem giving a Script a pointer to a ScriptColumn grob.  Will investigate if I can modify the X-offset callback for Script to deal with the staccato situation.

--David