Re: staccato dots and slurs in second voice

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: staccato dots and slurs in second voice
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:33:17 -0600

Hi Werner,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:24 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> That's effectively what I'm doing.  I'm changing the X-offset
>> callback because it's only there that the property
>> toward-stem-shift is read (see scm/output-lib.scm).  The trick is
>> allowing two different concurrent values for toward-stem-shift: 1.0
>> for when the staccato is alone, 0.0 when other articulations are
>> present (like a portato) In my experiment, I simply did what the
>> engraver does regarding toward-stem-shift.

Thanks for working on this!

My pleasure!  I have something which is almost ready to be reviewed, but I need to get several patches pushed and into current master first.

Will this also influence the positioning
of the end (or start) of a slur?  Since I guess that the answer is no,

Unfortunately, that's a different problem.  Of course, since the patch puts the staccato dots at stem end, you'll notice a (slight) improvement.  (See attached.)

I wonder how this could be improved, namely to set maximum and minimum
horizontal coordinates for slurs that must not be exceeded.

Not sure--I'd need to investigate.  Something ought to be done about the vertical position, too, of course.  That might be harder.  (I'm just guessing.)

> [...] what about changing toward-stem-shift to a number-pair instead
> of a number?

Sounds sensible.

I'm liking this approach--will be part of upcoming patch for review.

Best,
David