How to get lyrics to skip measures?

From: Chris Trahan
Subject: How to get lyrics to skip measures?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:45:38 -0600

I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to do this.  I have a score where verse 1 is sung then there is a whistling interlude then verse two is sung.

I think that I need to somehow include spacers to skip over the whistle part but I'm getting errors when I try that.

Here is a short sample code. Would someone give me a clue how to get the lyrics to skip the "Whistle" part?

This comes up often in our vocal music. Often there is an interlude before the next verse is sung.

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

melodyVerseOne = {
  \new Staff \relative c'' {