Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:48:55 -0600

This has perhaps become off-topic and I don’t wish to prolong that; however, I have to take issue with the idea that “sus” could somehow apply to the 7th.  It can’t.  Suspensions specifically apply to replacing the 3rd with either the 4th or the 2nd (the latter being rare except in folk music played on guitar in the first position, and even then only a few chords lend themselves to this).  The 7th cannot be suspended; it can be flatted or natural, in which case this is by convention denoted as a 7th or major 7th; the term “sus” is never applied to the 7th.  There should be no possible ambiguity when “sus” and “7” are used in the same chord.

The main problem for me with “x7sus4” as a chord name is its length; when there are four chord names in a bar, every character counts in terms of legibility.  Things can get crowded fast.  (This came up in preparing a chart for the Vince Guaraldi song “Cast Your Fate To The Wind” in which all the chords in the soloing section are suspended dominants.  Lots and lots of them, actually sounds pretty terrible on guitar; works somewhat better on piano which was Guaraldi’s instrument, but IMHO seriously overdone on this song).

However, I find that when I give musicians lead sheets done by the Roemer-Brandt standards I never get any question about what any chord means.  It may not be especially modern but it is certainly effective.

Tim