Re: Key signature and key cancellation need to be aligned

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Key signature and key cancellation need to be aligned
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:11:22 +0100

> On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 20:26 +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> > I use Staff.printKeyCancellation = ##f in my score.
>> >
>> > At one point the key changes from C major (concert) to C minor.  As the
>> > piece is for a standard saxophone quartet, this means that 2 of the
>> > instruments change from D major (notated) to D minor, and the other 2
>> > change from A major to A minor.
>> >
>> > A minor, of course, is the "open" key with no sharps or flats, and,
>> > notwithstanding the negation of printKeyCancellation, Lilypond correctly
>> > prints a key cancellation at this point on the 2 staves that require it.
>> >
>> > The other 2 parts, in which the key changes from 2 sharps to 1 flat,
>> > correctly do not get a key cancellation.
>> >
>> > So far, so good.
>> >
>> > The problem is that the actual key signatures on the 2 staves that have
>> > them are not vertically aligned with the key cancellations on the other
>> > 2 staves.  Instead, they are printed after the key cancellations.  In
>> > other words, each of the 2 key signatures is printed as if there were an
>> > invisible key cancellation preceding it on the stave.  This looks wrong,
>> > and I should like them to appear above and below the actual key
>> > cancellations on the other 2 staves.

I'm not sure, if I agree. I'd be interested in scans from good
editions dealing with the problem.

>> > I have experimented with changing KeySignature.X-offset (which had no
>> > effect) and KeySignature.extra-offset.  The latter works, but
>> > unfortunately the position of the time signature and music which follow
>> > remain unchanged, so that there is now an unnecessary gap after the key
>> > signatures/cancellations.
>> >
>> > How can I get the effect I want, and get Lilypond to take account of the
>> > change in the position of the key signatures?
>> >
>> > David
>>

>> Hi David,
>>
>> how about a minimal example?
>>
>> -Harm
>
> Here we are, then: the following illustrates the problem.

Thanks.
I've only a very tedious and manually workaround for you. See below.
If the situation differs you will have to adjust the values again.
Maybe with the need to add other overrides of this kind.
Hopefully someone comes up with a better idea.

> \version "2.18.0"
> \language "english"
>
> \new StaffGroup <<
>     \new Staff \relative c'' {
>         \transposition bf
>         \time 3/4
>         \key d \major
>         a2 r4 |

%% insert:

        \once \override Score.KeyCancellation.space-alist.key-signature =
        #'(extra-space . -2.4)
        \once \override Score.KeySignature.space-alist.time-signature =
        #'(extra-space . 2.6)

>         \key d \minor
>         \time 2/4
>         R2 |