Re: \shiftOn and friends

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: \shiftOn and friends
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:41:45 -0000

Ted Lemon wrote Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:57 PM

> On Jan 29, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/real-music-example
>
> This example actually nicely illustrates one of the things I've found
> frustrating about working with Lilypond: why is it necessary to do so much
> deliberate annotation to deal with clashes that one would think could be
> dealt with automatically?   Is this by design, or simply an indication that
> there is more work to do?

Certainly the latter.  But quite a lot of work has been done.  More than a few
of the examples of overrides in the earlier manuals have had to be removed, as
LilyPond now does that particular right thing out of the box.  There is always
more that could be done, of course.

But sometimes is is not possible to determine what the best layout option is,
either because it is a matter of convention or taste, which vary over time and
with composer, or because the processing time needed to detect and correct
collisions and other positioning errors would be too great to tolerate.

Trevor