Re: arpeggioArrowUp

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: arpeggioArrowUp
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:08:04 -0700 (MST)

Noeck wrote
> Dear Harm,
>
> Am 15.01.2015 um 03:22 schrieb Thomas Morley:
>> arpeggioUp =
>> -\tweak #'stencil #ly:arpeggio::print
>> -\tweak #'X-extent #ly:arpeggio::width
>> -\tweak #'arpeggio-direction #UP
>> \arpeggio
>
> I came back to this today and I like this simple approach most.
>
> One more question: what are the first two tweaks needed for?
> I see no difference if I omit them.

+1*10!
Oooooh! That is very nice!

The first two tweaks revert the arpeggio to the squiggle when the user has
otherwise used "\arpeggioBracket" or similar, like:

%<------------------ SNIP -----------------

\version "2.18.2"

arpeggioUp =
-\tweak #'stencil #ly:arpeggio::print
-\tweak #'X-extent #ly:arpeggio::width
-\tweak #'arpeggio-direction #UP
\arpeggio

arpeggioDown =
-\tweak #'stencil #ly:arpeggio::print
-\tweak #'X-extent #ly:arpeggio::width
-\tweak #'arpeggio-direction #DOWN
\arpeggio

\relative c'' {
  \arpeggioBracket
  <g b d g>4\arpeggioUp
  q\arpeggio  % <--- still uses the bracket
  q\arpeggioDown
}

%<------------------ SNIP -----------------

I really like this "-\tweak" approach because it automatically only applies
the changes to the current chord and is easily repeatable without much extra
typing. Nice work, Harm!

Anyone willing to help get this (and similar code for "arpeggioDown") pushed
into "property-init.ly"? Shouldn't be too hard to get through and would be a
nice (i.e., more intuitive) syntax, especially for new users, IMHO.

In fact, all the different arpeggio types could be converted to the
"-\tweak" syntax and I think that it would make them all a little easier to
use.

-Abraham