Re: Alternative Quarter Rest

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Alternative Quarter Rest
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:25:10 -0500

On Nov 30, 2014, at 01:53 , Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> IMSLP is your friend; there you should also get scans with better
> resolution.  Here the vocal score of `Don Pasquale' (Ricordi, 1870),
> with a slightly different design of the quarter rest, having a
> transition form to the modern shape:
>
>  http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/141736

Users,

I’m looking for a good name for a rest style that is like the default except
for using a quarter rest shaped like a mirrored Z.  I’ve seen examples in
19th-C. Italian opera and 20th-C. American hymnals, so names based on time,
place, publisher, or genre do not fit very well.  Although, I also see the
“classical” quarter rest in a late 19th-C. American hymnal, so maybe I
shouldn’t worry about universality so much.  My best idea is “z” based on its
appearance, but it seems strange to name a whole style after just one rest.
—
Dan