Variables when compiling a book

From: John McWilliam
Subject: Variables when compiling a book
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 13:34:35 -0700 (MST)

I am compiling a collection of bagpipe tunes and am having a problem when the
individual files are to be compiled into a book. Many of the tunes have
sections of music defined in variables - these definitions lie outside the
\score context and are causing errors when I try to compile the book.

I have also noticed that my list of \include files also defined outside the
score context have to be  removed form the individual tunes and listed at
the beginning of the book file instead. This is not a problem since the list
is short, however, moving all my music variables to the book file seems like
a clumsy way of doing things since they are many and vary from tune to tune.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem which could perhaps be described
as one of SCOPE or CONTEXT?

-----
John McWilliam