Re: Variables when compiling a book

From: John McWilliam
Subject: Re: Variables when compiling a book
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 07:58:37 -0700 (MST)

>Unfortunately, this is one of the cases where LilyPond use resembles
>other kinds of computer programming.  You’ll need to refactor your files...

This solution presented a completely new mind set for me. The problem is
that I already have a considerable collection of bagpipe tunes written
without user-defined variables and compiled into books of marches and dance
tunes (see: https://github.com/jsmcwilliam/My_Bagpipemusic). On examination
of any tune you will see the construct fairly easily. These are then
compiled into a "Collection" (see: folder-collections). You will note that I
had to comment out some of the definitions from the beginning of each tune
file and move them to the collection file in order to avoid errors.

I then wanted to apply this construct to Piobaireachd tunes which are more
complex and required use of user-defined music variables (see folder
Piobaireachd). That is when I ran into trouble because it would appear that
all these user-defined music variables would also have to be lifted out of
the Piobaireachd files and placed at the beginning of the collection file.
As I said before this seemed a very clumsy thing to do making my collection
file enormous and difficult to read.

You may be right in which case I will have to study your construct and apply
it to my Piobaireachd tunes, however, I was hoping for a simpler solution.
If you cannot see one then I suppose I must bite the bullet but I'm not very
code literate so it may take time to affect the change.

-----
John McWilliam