Re: Shortening volta brackets at two (and more) staves

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Shortening volta brackets at two (and more) staves
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 16:35:49 -0600

Hi Kaj,

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Kaj Persson <address@hidden> wrote:
In the snippet collection, the "Repeats" section, there is one named "Shortening volta brackets". I have use for just this, since in a piece of music I need some extra space in order to put a mark immediately after the volta alternative bracket. So I tested it, and, yes, the example promised well. The method is to work with the variable voltaSpannerDuration via the the statement:
    "\set Score.voltaSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 2 4)"
This way you can shorten the bracket even down to one single strike:

But when I expand the system to this, hence two staves instead of one, this happens:

I'll have to look at this some more, but it seems there is a bug.  Even in the single staff example, there is a warning: "cannot end volta spanner".  I get this with the snippet you reference as well.   Possibly there is a flaw in lily/volta-engraver.cc.  And another "possibly": this might be related to what happens in your multi-staff example.

--David