Re: Bug in articulate.ly + TrillSpan + full-measure rests

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: Bug in articulate.ly + TrillSpan + full-measure rests
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 01:27:54 +0100

Dear Joram,

Il 04/02/15 00.19, Noeck ha scritto:
I don’t know how to fix it in articulate but adding <> and moving the
\stopTrillSpan before the rest seems to work:

Thanks, that is a nice workaround!
However I believe this is a bug in articulate.ly.

This means: The trill stops visually at the same point (measure 2) but before
the rest. How can you do a trill on a rest anyway?

Also in my example the trill spanner is meant to stop before the rest: it is *not* a trill on a rest.
Use of \startTrillSpan and \stopTrillSpan is described in [1].
E.g. the following code means that the trill begins on c and ends at the end of f, i.e. before g:

c4 \startTrillSpan d e f
g4 \stopTrillSpan a b c'

and indeed it does, both visually and (if you use \articulate) in MIDI.
If I understand correctly, it should be interpreted as "start the trill when c4 starts and stop the trill when g4 starts".

I would expect \articulate to correctly handle trill spanners regardless to what \stopTrillSpan is attached to.

Best wishes.
Davide

[1] http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-as-lines#trills