centering full-measure objects (notes and/or rests)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: centering full-measure objects (notes and/or rests)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 23:30:37 -0500

Hello all,

I have a single chord in the last measure of my piece — unfortunately, it isn’t
centered by default:

\version "2.19.15"
testing = { c''4 c'' c'' c'' | c''1 \bar "|." }
\layout { ragged-right = ##f }
\score { \testing }

1. How can I fix this? In the archives, I found this thread
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-12/msg00264.html>; but I
couldn’t access the attachment (it downloads as a binary file which doesn’t
decompress into anything readable on my machine).

2. Why is this not Lilypond’s default behaviour? As I understand it,
traditional engraving practice is to centre full-measure objects (notes and/or
rests) in *any* measure of a piece, as long as all staves in the current system
consist of only full-measure objects (notes and/or rests).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>