Re: lengthening broken ties

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: lengthening broken ties
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 07:14:20 +0100 (CET)

>> However, this has no effect.  I guess this is because because the
>> `after-line-breaking' callback is invoked too late in the
>> formatting process.
>
> Yes, it appears that 'minimum-length is consulted before line
> breaking happens, in the callback for ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
> (in lily/spanner.cc).  Spacing rods are created provisionally for
> broken pieces which might occur later.

It would be great if a knowledgeable person could check whether this
could be changed.

> Don't know.  In any case, I think the goal should be to make this
> work with an override of 'minimum-length, rather than setting
> 'minimum-length though 'after-line-breaking.

The very problem is that minimum-length gives the distance between
*note heads*, which is completely unusable IMHO.  If I increase
minimum-length globally to fix the broken tie case, the horizontal
size of all other ties is *far* too large.  Or do you mean something
different?

BTW, this is issue 14, opened in 2006(!) – it's the oldest LilyPond
bug report that is still valid, unfortunately.

    Werner