Re: centering full-measure objects (notes and/or rests)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: centering full-measure objects (notes and/or rests)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 07:41:43 -0500

Hi Jay,

Gould says that a bar containing a single note is placed left of center.
Full measure rests are centered. So lilypond is behaving correctly

Note that Gould’s description (page 41) supports my feature request, and is decidedly *not* how Lilypond currently works — here’s the exact example she gives:

\version "2.19.15"
testing = {
  \time 4/4 c1 c1
  \time 3/4 c2.
  \time 3/8 c4. c4.
}
\layout { ragged-right = ##f }
\score { \new RhythmicStaff \testing }

Notice how Lilypond puts the noteheads at the **left edge of the measure**, and not “just left of the centre of the bar” as indicated by Gould (and all the engravings I looked at in both my own library and in IMSLP).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>