Re: lengthening broken ties

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: lengthening broken ties
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 15:44:35 +0100 (CET)

> Why not make it possible to give different values of minimum-length
> right when you do the basic override?  Perhaps minimum-length could
> be a pair, one number giving the non-broken value, another giving
> the broken.  Or--less intrusive--there could be a property alongside
> it which acted on a broken object, I think that would be pretty easy
> to implement.

In case it is easy to implement a `minimum-length-broken' property,
please proceed!  It would magically improve *a lot* of scores, I
guess.

>From a philosophical point, however, such a fix basically goes into
the wrong direction.  IMHO, `minimum-length' should do what its name
advertises, namely controlling the length of the tie, and not the
distance between its associated note heads.  The current
implementation is completely unpredictable in tight typesetting
situations if there are accidentals and/or chords.

    Werner