what's the State-of-the-Art two column top-level markup function?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: what's the State-of-the-Art two column top-level markup function?
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 14:31:10 -0500

Hello all,

I would like to use Lilypond (not -book or LaTeX- etc.) to add a top-level
two-column markup to my score.

Is there a really great function out there (e.g., with margin and gutter
control, auto-wrapping, individual baseline- and paragraph-skip parameters,
etc.), or should I [re-]invent the wheel?

(n.b. I believe I know all the “public” functions — e.g.,
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=533 — and none of them are quite sufficient
as they currently stand…)

Thanks,
Kieren.