Re: What is the name of this and how to code in lily

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: What is the name of this and how to code in lily
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 12:20:34 +0100

Hi Ming,

I played a bit to reproduce the measure you sent. This was my first try to
typset the upper staff:

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c ' {
  \key g \major
  q2:32\fermata
  \bar "|."
}

However there are 3 things to notice (one on notation and 2 on Lilypond):

1. At least for Lilypond, the 3 slashes mean a 1/64th -tremolo - probably
because the beam counts a fourth slash (?). This means the notation in your copy
and in Lilypond has different opinions on this. I would choose a 1/32th-tremolo
as for the half note chord at the end (i.e. 2 slashes + beam).

2. The beam gets very steep with this tremolo sign and it should not because the
chords are on the level. This can be done by overriding Beam.positions.
But I would have thought LilyPond is a bit more clever here out-of-the-box.

3. The second tie from the top is extremely short (just a dot). I think Lilypond
should figure out somehow that a chord with a note on the right of the stem
needs a bit longer ties than it is now. This can be done with a tweak (or an
override) of the minimum-length.

@Developers: Could one consider these two things a bug (ugly): Issues 2 and 3
here (tremolo shifts beam too much and ties in chords with seconds too short)?

With these tweaks it looks ok:

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c ' {
  \key g \major