Re: [ANNOUNCE] my newest Lilypond engraving

From: Craig Dabelstein
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] my newest Lilypond engraving
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 21:21:12 +0000

It looks fantastic Kieren. Bravo!

Craig

On Sun Feb 08 2015 at 6:52:43 AM Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello all!

Just a note to announce my newest Lilypond engraving: my Chaconne for unaccompanied violin (2001).
(You can download the score at <http://kierenmacmillan.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Chaconne_letter.pdf>.)

There are still some improvements I’m planning to make over the next little while — for me, tweaking the engraving of a score can be as endless as revising the composition itself ;) — and it’s not going to win any international music publication awards (cf. Urs & Janek!).

All that being said, I’m pretty proud of it. Despite the fact that the piece was written almost fourteen years ago, and has had multiple performances and even a commercial CD recording, this is the first time I’ve made the score available to the public: the original score, engraved using the now-defunct Igor Engraver, never lived up to my aesthetic standards, and in fact was the reason I ended up moving to Lilypond the following year.

Thanks to everyone in the ‘Pond, especially: the development team, old (Han-Wen et al.) and new (David K. and David N. et al.); Jan-Peter, for the \editionEngraver (which saved hours of frustration making this score look the way it does); and all those who have given me great assistance on the list over the years.

I included a little shout-out to Lilypond in the score’s Colophon — my way of continuing to tell the world that Lilypond makes the most beautiful scores.

All the best,
Kieren.