Re: [ANNOUNCE] my newest Lilypond engraving

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] my newest Lilypond engraving
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 19:45:11 -0800

Kieren,

Lovely, in all regards. I'm so grateful that you have made this score available. I had no idea this piece existed. I, too, have just heard it on SoundCloud, and I love it.

I'm a classic guitarist, and for many of us the word "Chaconne" has immediate and galvanizing connotations. Every since Segovia simultaneously amazed and scandalized Paris by playing Bach's Chaconne (that's how we refer to it - that says it all) in a recital, we've tended to think we own the piece. I, for one, think of it as two different pieces, both by Bach. One is for violin, and it's awesome. The other is for classic guitar, and it's beyond description, although Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco is reputed to have once remarked to American guitarist Christopher Parkening once that it is "simply the greatest piece of music ever written."

And now there's another Chaconne to consider, one with delightful modern qualities. I'm about to print it out and begin adapting it to guitar. I have no real qualifications for doing it, except love for Bach, guitar, and Chaconnes. I'm going to do it anyway.

And by the way, I think the score looks lovely.

I will also further investigate the rest of your corpus, to the extent I can. You have much intrigued me. I, too, compose, but only for my instrument. I'm intrigued by what you've written and I want to hear and learn more.

Thanks again, so very much, for your generosity.

Tom