Re: Gridly: simple Segmented Grid

From: Matteo Ceccarello
Subject: Re: Gridly: simple Segmented Grid
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 20:35:23 +0100

Dear Urs,

Il 09/02/2015 10:16, Urs Liska ha scritto:
Am 09.02.2015 um 09:56 schrieb Matteo Ceccarello:
Here I see room for starting some discussion on automated testing. I think that example files can serve also as test files, to check that code changes or version changes do not break things. Github has an associated continuous integration service called [Travis CI](https://travis-ci.org/) that runs test suites (or arbitrary commands) on each push. There is no explicit support for LilyPond, but I think that we can make it work anyway.

This is a good idea. But it would also imply that usage example files should be required to also cover failure conditions.
I opened a pull request (https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/pull/60) which implements a very simple testing strategy. Library developers are able to configure arbitrary lilypond files as test cases, so examples and other more specific files can be used as test cases. So example files do not necessarily need to be included in the tests.

This still does not handle failure condition, for which I think we will need a full fledged testing framework. Anyway, the simple testing strategy I'm proposing can already catch bugs like the one you pointed out in this thread (btw, I fixed it, in the next days I'll merge the fix into master).

For openLilyLib I can also offer the openlilylib.org server for implementing continuous integration, but I would need help to set everything up (actually this is something I'd be quite interested in learning), for example with a Jenkins server.
I have no experience in setting up Jenkins, I think that the tradeoffs between running on Travis CI vs. a self-hosted Jenkins server need to be evaluated, so further investigation is needed.

Bests,
Matteo