Re: Vertical axis grob error

From: Chris Trahan
Subject: Re: Vertical axis grob error
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:44:21 -0600

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 4:30 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Chris,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Chris Trahan <address@hidden> wrote:
When I compile a score that I'm working on I'm getting the following errors.

programming error: could not find this grob's vertical axis group in the vertical alignment
continuing, cross fingers

I can't seem to recreate the problem in a simple example and the source file is 533 lines long so I don't want to post it here unless it's necessary.

You might be able to isolate the problem by progressively commenting out lines, sections.

Do you notice something odd in the output?  This could help narrow it down.

You can also google the error message.  For example, I get this: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/95341

(Idea for improving the program: it wouldn't be hard to insert the grob's name into error messages of this sort.  That would be very helpful.)

--David

Hi David,

I've been trying to comment out sections to isolate. I am a programer / sys admin by trade. Debugging is a way of life for me. :)

Unfortunately, Lilypond does not give a line number or any indication of where or what is throwing the error.

One thing that I've found is than I an insert a \break and get the messages to stop.

The 1st three verses of the song are arranged like this. (Not actual score code, just a structure example.)

\repeat volta 3 {
   \repeat volta 2 {
      c d e f }
\alternative {
  { a b c d }
  { d c b a }
  }
  c d e f g a b c
}

The strange thing is that if I code it this way, the errors go away.

\repeat volta 3 {
   \repeat volta 2 {
      c d e f }
\alternative {
  { a b c d \break }
  { d c b a }
  }
  c d e f g a b c
}

The basic structure of the piece is the \repeat volta 2 { ... } \alternative { { a b .. } { a b ..} } ... some more music ...

It starts with three verses which is why I have the \repeat 3 { } section above, then the volta 2 structure is used for each succeeding verse.

Overall layout is 3 verses, interlude, verse, verse, interlude, final verse. All of this is in an SATB score.  This is why I'm having trouble isolating the problem.

I appreciate all suggestions.

Chris