How to encapsulate TextSpanner?

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: How to encapsulate TextSpanner?
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 13:25:04 -0800

In my piece, I have several passages where I'd like to use a TextSpanner
to indicate "rall. - - - ". Currently, I have to do this:

        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "rall."
        \override TextSpanner.direction = #DOWN
        | a b c\startTextSpanner d | d c b a\stopTextSpanner |

I'd like to encapsulate the \override's and \startTextSpanner in a
single command, and abbreviate the \stopTextSpanner command, so that I
can write something like this:

        | a4 b c\rall d | d c b a\endRall |

Is this possible?

I've tried various ways of doing this -- putting the commands in a
variable, using various Scheme make-script / make-music constructs,
etc., but lilypond keeps coming back with error messages. What's the
correct syntax for doing this?

Thanks!!

All men are mortal. Socrates is mortal. Therefore all men are Socrates.