Re: Broken ligatures in recent LilyPond versions

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Broken ligatures in recent LilyPond versions
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 00:36:10 +0100

Hi Jim,

concerning ligatures, you can forget about my paper block. It was just there,
because I know this font has ligatures. This markup line should be all you need:

>> \markup "Ligatures: The Que fi fl"

> What is special about that markup syntax that tells lily that
> there are any ligatures present in the markup?

There is nothing special in the syntax. The backend should know itself, that the
font has some ligature defined which means f and i following one another are not
separate letters fi but combined into a combined symbol: fi
And (if defined in the font) the same holds for: f + l = fl and others.

Is it clearer now?

Here is more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature

Cheers,
Joram