Re: global marks

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: global marks
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:47:24 -0500

Hi Elaine,

> I am wondering if folks would mind commenting on their experience using this
> type of approach:
>
>     new Staff <<
>       \new Voice \markVoice
>       \new Voice \partI
>     >>

I don’t usually define a new Voice for it:

    \new Staff << \marks \partI >>

But I’m 100% in favour of the concept, and use it in every single score I
engrave.

> In particular, how much can you put in the \markVoice?  Would this approach
> work for:
>     o Marks
>     o Tempi
>     o Time signatures
>     o Key signatures
>     o Repeats
>     o Double bar lines
>     o Symbols like coda, DS, fermata

Yes — all of that and more. Engravers can be moved around between contexts to
make sure things appear where they are meant to be (e.g., Mark_engraver usually
at the Score level, Time_signature_engraver usually at the Staff level, etc.).

> Also, if you are using tags, is this how you would combine these syntaxes:
> new Staff <<
>       \new Voice \markVoice
>       \new Voice \keepWithTag #'tagPartI \partI
>     >>

That would work, of course. However, it might be simpler to just wrap the whole
thing, e.g.

  \new Staff \keepWithTag #’partI <<
    \new Voice \markVoice
    \new Voice \partI

in case there are “conditional items” in the mark part.

One final [semi-related] note: 95% (or maybe more) of my \tag usage has been
eliminated by using the \editionEngraver.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>