Re: Levelling hairpins

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Levelling hairpins
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 14:34:20 +0000

It's probably a language thing...

My use of the word 'shame' did not in any way imply that I think that
anybody should feel shame, inadequacy or guilt for the fact that
Lilypond does not always do what some of us would like.

The English idiom "it's a shame" means the same as the similar "it's a
pity": they have different literal meanings, neither of which
corresponds to the idiomatic meaning.

I might easily say "It's a shame that it's cloudy today:" I am not
blaming or criticising anyone for the fact that the sun is not shining:
I am merely saying that it would be pleasanter if things were different
from the way they are.

Sorry if I offended anybody by my choice of words.

The link you included is very interesting - although I won't hold my
breath, because I see that the discussion has been going on for 4½ years
so far.

David