\articulate command and "rit." was: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 147,

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: \articulate command and "rit." was: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 147, Issue 102
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:34:16 -0600

> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:20:37 +0100
> From: Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
> To: Patrick Karl <address@hidden>
> Cc: lilypond-user <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 137, Issue 62

>> I have run into a couple of anomalies with the \articulate command and the
>> abbreviation "rit."
>>
>> First,
>>
>> \version "2.19.15"
>> \include "articulate.ly"
>>
>> \score{
>>    \unfoldRepeats \articulate
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>    \new ChoirStaff <<
>>        \new Staff c-"rit."
>>        \new Staff c-"rit."
>>>>
>>    \layout { }
>>    \midi { }
>> }
>>
>> throws a warning:       warning: Two simultaneous tempo-change events,
>> junking this one
>>                                warning: Previous tempo-change event here
>>
>> If "rit." is replaced with "\markup { "rit." }, no warning is thrown.
>> Section "1.8.1 Writing text" pretty much implies that those two ways of
>> generating text are equivalent.
>>
>> I don't think this warning should occur.  Isn't it a common thing to place
>> such a notation in all staves so that if parts are generated, each part will
>> have the notation.
>
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/repeats-in-midi
>
> "
> When creating a score file using \unfoldRepeats for MIDI, it is
> necessary to make two \score blocks: one for MIDI (with unfolded
> repeats) and one for notation (with volta, tremolo, and percent
> repeats). For example,
>
> \score {
>  ?music?
>  \layout { ? }
> }
> \score {
>  \unfoldRepeats ?music?
>  \midi { ? }
> }

Yes, I knew that.  But I didn't think it was necessary if my music didn't
contain any \repeat volta's.  Is that wrong?

Do you think that doing the midi in a separate score will cure the "rit."
problem?  I tried it, it doesn't.

Maybe you can answer a question about \articulate:  if I generate a pdf file
for the score containing the \midi block, why doesn't the pdf file reflect what
is in the midi file?  For example, the pdf file generated by my original
snippet shows a time signature of 4/4, but each measure actually contains 8
quarter-note beats.