Re: lengthening broken ties

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: lengthening broken ties
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 15:09:51 +0100 (CET)

>> If it's convenient, have a look at the attached patch/sketch.  It
>> adds a property, minimum-length-left-broken, which lets you adjust
>> broken bits that start a line.
>
> Excellent!  What an improvement with just a few lines of code!
> Thanks a lot.

Now that the change is in the repository, I've recompiled lilypond to
try it out with real-world code.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work as
expected.  Consider this snippet (together with the attached image).

  \paper {
    line-width = 50\mm
  }

  \relative c'' {
    <bes des e g>1 ~ \break q \break

    \once\override Tie.minimum-length-after-break = 10
    <bes des e g>1 ~ \break q \break

    \time 4/4 <bes des e g>1 ~ \break \time 3/4 q2. \break

    \once\override Tie.minimum-length-after-break = 10
    \time 4/4 <bes des e g>1 ~ \break \time 3/4 q2. \break
  }

In bar 2 you can see the effect of `minimum-length-after-break'.
However, in bar 8, nothing changes!  Value 10 is obviously too small
to get an effect if the line starts with a time signature – it seems
that the horizontal space of the time signature must be taken into
account also.

Any chance to fix this?  BTW, if you compare bar 2 with bar 6, you see
exactly the opposite effect w.r.t. the default tie length: with a time
signature the tie looks OK but without it is far too short...

    Werner

PNG image