\articulate command doesn't handle {c4 4}

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: \articulate command doesn't handle {c4 4}
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 08:26:24 -0600

The Notation Manual seems to allow a naked duration to represent the last pitch with that duration.  The following extract from the NM shows what I'm talking about:

(you'd think that since we're only on p6, it would be easy to find the explicit permission to do this, but I can't find it.  Maybe it's somewhere later in the NM.  You'd probably also think that since the difference between absolute and relative pitch entry has already been discussed this snippet should read:  cis''1~ 1~ \break cis''.)

Another illustration of this use of naked duration occurs on NM p371:

which produces:

If examples such as this are modified by the \articulate command, the midi file is non-representative of the LP input.  For example,

\version "2.19.15"
\include "articulate.ly"

\score { {
        \unfoldRepeats     \articulate
\new Staff  {cis''1~ 1~ \break cis''}
     }
     \midi {  }
}

produces a midi file which consists of 4 beats of cis'' folowed by 4 beats of rest or silence followed by 4 beats of cis''.