Re: Git/Lilypond workflow

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Git/Lilypond workflow
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 00:10:02 +0100

Am 15.02.2015 21:19, schrieb RomanticStrings:
What is the benefit of using Git?  I understand that it keeps track of
changes, so you can check your log and even retrieve previous versions(?).

I use my home MacBook Pro and my work (sacred music director) PC laptop, and
I have both a Dropbox and Google Drive account.  It seems like Git doesn't
work nicely with the latter, though I have much more space in it.  Is there
any reason I should consider using Git to manage my files, or is there a way
to create an "off-site(?)" server to maintain my files so that I can access
them on two computers?  I am currently using Dropbox with a symbolic link to
access the files I need on both computers (with the hard file on my laptop,
which stays at home).

Basically, what is the purpose of using Git other than keeping track of
changes?
I think Urs wrote some rather euphorical posts on lilypondblog.org on this topic (search for version control), which should summarise the reasons quite well.

Yours, Simon

~Conor Cook