How to increase the distance between systems?

From: Kaj
Subject: How to increase the distance between systems?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:34:14 +0100

I have tried to find in the manuals180 how to increase the distance between systems in the same score. I have found how to control the distance between individual staves inside the system, but not between systems. In my real task I want to fill the page. I see there is plenty of room below the last system, but I cannot find out how to get the score to expand. I also want to use the tagline at the bottom, but this should not have any impact.

Here is a simple example:

\version "2.18.2" \score { << \new StaffGroup << \new Staff { c'1 e'1 \break g'1 b'1 } \new Staff { d'1 f'1 \break a'1 c''1 } >> >> \layout { indent = #0 ragged-right = ##t %\override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing = #'((basic-distance . 15)) } }

If you remove the comment sign (%) from the "\override" sentence at the end of the code, the space between the staves increases, but what to write to make the same happen between the two systems? Reading the manual make me think, that possibly "staffgroup-staff-spacing" could be the solution, but I have had no success so far. I have tried, I think, all combinations of contexts and grobs, but none has been successful.

By the way, I also found a discrepancy between the manual and the real life. According to the manual (e.g. chapter 4.4.1 in the Notation Reference) the override sentence could also be written like:

\override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing #'basic-distance = #15

but this did not succeed for me. I did also test the modern way of writing with dots between the keywords, but with no effect.

Kaj