Re: Peer review

From: Craig Dabelstein
Subject: Re: Peer review
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:11:14 +0000

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your feedback. As I suspected there were issues you raised that I never would have picked up on my own. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Craig

On Wed Feb 18 2015 at 8:45:05 PM Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 18.02.2015 um 03:30 schrieb Craig Dabelstein:
> Hi Lilyponders,
>
> I'm not sure if this is an appropriate request for the group, but I was
> wondering if anybody had the time to look at a sample part I have
> typeset and make any comments regarding the typesetting. There may be
> many things here that an experienced typesetter may see that need
> improvement, but my eyes don't pick up.
>
> Here is the link:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/614749/Berlioz-02-piccolo.pdf
>
> I do think the part looks a little bit compressed, but I have used the
> page turn engraver (which I think is one of the greatest inventions of
> the modern world!) for instrumental parts such as these.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Craig

Hi Craig, there's one (minor) issue for readability that I notice. It's
not your fault but LilyPond's but you may search for a way to improve it
nevertheless.

When tuplet number happen to fall into a staff they are not clearly
readable. Probably it doesn't matter too much because you don't actually
_read_ them anyway but just notice that they are there.
Especially problematic is when they fall exactly in a staff space as in
m. 134ff. where the extenders of the number coincide with the staff lines.

I'm not sure about the best treat, however. Some ideas:

- moving the numbers
- using whiteout
- selecting a heavier font face

I don't see a real treat for it, but you may take it as some input.

HTH
Urs

Urs Liska
www.openlilylib.org