Re: "rit." in Midi - was: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 137, Issue 62

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: "rit." in Midi - was: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 137, Issue 62
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 12:47:56 -0800

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:14:19PM +0000, David Sumbler wrote:
> > > From: Patrick Karl <address@hidden>
> > > Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:18:49 -0600
> > >
> > > I think the most disturbiing thing is that \articulate is
> > > interpreting "rit." to mean "ritenuto" rather than "ritardando",
> > > which I think is the most common interpretation of "rit.".  It
> > > would be great if the tempo would ramp down gradually to "4=36" at
> > > the end.
>
> It's true that articulate.ly does not handle gradual tempo changes as
> one would expect.
>
> I get around this, and simultaneously give myself control over the
> contour of the rit. or accel. by writing another "invisible" stave
> just for the midi, and containing nothing but rests and tempo
> markings.
[...]

You can also write the tempo markings in the same place as the music but
use \omit to make them invisible in the printed score.

OTOH, it would be nice if we could come up with a clever Scheme function
that automates ramping the tempo down/up; it's rather tedious to insert
all those \tempo markings by hand.

-- Donald Knuth