Re: Spacing Cheat Sheet (was: How to increase the distance between syste

From: Kaj
Subject: Re: Spacing Cheat Sheet (was: How to increase the distance between systems?)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 22:10:45 +0100

Hi Joram!

I will say that compilations and overviews like this are most valuable and usable tools for people (like me) in the state where the different objects and concepts begin to come out of the shadows, but still you do not know the connections between them or their exact roles. So thank you very much. The sheet has got its deserved place on the wall ahead of me and the computer.

One thing (among others) I still do not understand: why are there three keys describing the distance between staves and systems? In the Notation Reference (http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-paper-variables#structure-of-flexible-vertical-spacing-alists) one tries to describe how they are defined. But, if I understand it correct, the effective (resulting) distance will always be the biggest of the three, hence
    effective_distance = max(minimum-distance; basic-distance; padding).
Is there any reason to use three, one should be sufficient. If they were adding like
    resulting_distance = minimum-distance + basic-distance + padding
this could motivate the number, but I cannot read this from the manual. Nor does your very good sheet give a definite answer. So I do not see the reason. Historical maybe?

Kaj