Re: Lyrics to second voice messes up following measure

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Lyrics to second voice messes up following measure
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 18:59:29 +0100

> Hello fellow LilyPonders,
>
> yesterday I stumbled over a problem involving lyrics assigned to a (cue)
> voice in a bivocal measure.
> Assigning a syllable to the *last note* of the bivocal measure messes up the
> subsequent monovocal measure (and all subsequent ones).
>
> Since I am a lilypond beginner, it's likely I am missing the obvious here.
> Lilyponds behaviour, however, seems illogical to me and cumbersome to work
> around.

Not really.
In general \addlyrics doen't work properly in more complex situations,
at least far too often.
\addlyrics is a short-cut, you pay for it with a lot of drawbacks.
I'd avoid the use of it in all but the most simplest cases.

> I boiled down the behaviour to an attached 10-line example:
> Add another syllable to the lyrics (line 6) and watch the note in the
> following measure disappear.
>
> Can somebody help me out here?
> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Phil

How about the following (some comments inline):

\version "2.18.2"
<<
  \new Staff {
      <<
        \new Voice = "main" { R1 }
        \new CueVoice = "cue" { d'2 d'2 }

      %% let Voice named "main" continue
      \context Voice = "main"    { d'4 e' f' g' }
  }
  %% sets lyrics on different level:
  %\new Lyrics \lyricsto "cue" { \set fontSize = #-3 A B }
  %\new Lyrics \lyricsto "main" { la le li lo }

  %% If you want the Lyrics on same line use:
  %\new Lyrics = "lyr" \lyricsto "cue" { \set fontSize = #-3 A B }
  %\context Lyrics = "lyr" \lyricsto "main" { \unset fontSize la le li lo }

  %% Or:
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "cue" {
    \set fontSize = #-3
    "A" \set associatedVoice = #"main" "B"