Re: creating pop/vocal lead sheets without the melody line

From: Ryan Clarin
Subject: Re: creating pop/vocal lead sheets without the melody line
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:56:37 -0600

How would I add rests in lyricmode?

In the song that I am arranging, I need a couple of chords to occur without any lyrics, then the lyrics come in after say 2 measures worth of rests.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Ryan, Hi Kieren,

\include "predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly" should help too...

So it would go:

\version "2.19.15"
\language "english"
\include "predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly"

the_words = \lyricmode {
  My4 eyes4 are4 dim,4
  I4 cannot2 see,4
  I4 have4 not4 brought4 my4 specs4 with4 me!4
}

the_chords = \chordmode {
  s4
  g1
  c1
  a1:m
  d1
}

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames \the_chords
    \new FretBoards \the_chords
    \new Lyrics \the_words

}

Pierre

Hi Ryan,

> Basically, I want to create this:
> http://lilypond.org/ly-examples/chart.png
> without the melody.  So just lyrics with chords on top.

You mean like this?

\version "2.19"
\language "english"

the_words = \lyricmode {
  My4 eyes4 are4 dim,4
  I4 cannot2 see,4
  I4 have4 not4 brought4 my4 specs4 with4 me!4
}

the_chords = \chordmode {
  s4
  g1
  c1
  a1:m
  d1
}

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames \the_chords
    \new FretBoards \the_chords
    \new Lyrics \the_words

}

> The manual isn't very helpful - in fact, it says, "You are better off using another program”.

Wow. That’s not a great thing for our own docs to say, is it?  =)

Hope this helps!
Kieren.