Re: ugly default output

From: Steve Lacy
Subject: Re: ugly default output
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:39:01 -0800

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes, but I'd repeat that this is less LilyPond's fault than a problem of having an amount of music that is inherently unsuitable to be typeset nicely on one system.

I'll have to say that I find this perspective a bit short-sighted. (no pun intended)

There's *lots* of "short" music that would benefit greatly from beautiful typesetting.  For example, there are *many* collections of traditional Irish and Americana music, where each song is but a handful of measures long.   (See collections on itma.ie for example)

The vast majority of this type of music on the internet is currently stored in ABC format, and poorly engraved into low-resolution images.  This music would benefit greatly from Lilypond's enhanced functionality (easy key changes, much better articulations, etc.)

Another use-case is sheet music used for and during music instruction.  Much of these beginner's songs are also only a few measures long, but can often contain "extra verbose" articulations and lots of markup to help students learn to read music, and to make it extremely clear how the piece should be played.

Considering Lilypond for large-scale classical music engraving only is missing a much larger part of the picture.

Steve

--
Urs Liska
www.openlilylib.org