lyricWordEngraver enhancement proposal

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: lyricWordEngraver enhancement proposal
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 01:17:34 +0100

Hello David, hello list,

upon proofreading my latest larger lily project I had an idea for enhancement of your lyricWordEngraver: it would be very useful to have a \compressWord command, which is entered before a lyric syllable and then makes the following word be engraved as single string without hyphens. Well, I don’t quite have the technical knowledge to judge whether this is difficult or makes sense, and I hope that you also see a point in that I give ideas that I have and others add their technical knowledge. However, I might imagine that this would involve: – creating a word-compress-event, which is entered by \compressWord, – having the lyricWordEngraver collect these events and – using them to assist its decision on whether to compress or not (an opposite \noCompress or whatever would be conceivable also). Sometimes it would be useful if the resulting command worked inside words too to just apply to the remaining syllables of the word (or even only those enclosed in {}? just brainstorming). I know that this is not a „sustainable” solution due to the shortcomings of the original approach (mainly because the note spacing remains just the same) but nevertheless, if I am right with my conjecture that this is not really involving, I think it would be worth it. Feel free to say that you don’t have time or a good mind now :-)

Best regards,
Simon