Re: Lyrics to second voice messes up following measure

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Lyrics to second voice messes up following measure
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 15:09:09 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> To: "Philipp Legrum" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 4:40 PM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philipp Legrum" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 4:03 PM

Hello fellow LilyPonders,

yesterday I stumbled over a problem involving lyrics assigned to a (cue)
voice in a bivocal measure.
Assigning a syllable to the *last note* of the bivocal measure messes up
the subsequent monovocal measure (and all subsequent ones).

Since I am a lilypond beginner, it's likely I am missing the obvious
here. Lilyponds behaviour, however, seems illogical to me and cumbersome
to work around.

I boiled down the behaviour to an attached 10-line example:
Add another syllable to the lyrics (line 6) and watch the note in the
following measure disappear.

Can somebody help me out here?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Phil

I think this is a known (very old) bug: http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=127

I use a fairly horrible workaround:

\new CueVoice = "cue" {d'2 d'2*1/2 \hideNotes d'4 \unHideNotes}

The *1/2 halves the effective musical length of the note, allowing me to slip in a hidden note of half the length. This has no lyric and so corrects the problem with the main voice.

--
Phil Holmes

You may like to note that this has been fixed in the latest development release, 2.19.16.

--
Phil Holmes