Re: Non-printing score-wide dynamics

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Non-printing score-wide dynamics
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:39:21 +0000

Yes, I now see that 'mid' is treated as a stand-alone music expression,
so that Staff and Voice contexts are added automatically.  This is
confirmed by adding \mid to the printed output.

So my original question now becomes: how can I add dynamics to the 'mid'
staff and have them applied to all staves?

I have tried creating a 'mid' staff explicitly, thus:

midiStaff =
\new Staff {
    \time 4/4
    \new Voice \with { \remove "Dynamic_engraver" } {
        \mid

and in the \midi block I put:

\midi {
    \context {
        \Score
        \consists "Dynamic_engraver"
        \consists "Dynamic_performer"

But this did not work.  The dynamics in midiStaff seem to be ignored
altogether in midi, although they do appear in the printed score if I
add \midiStaff to the relevant \score block and the context changes to
the \layout block.  But then with this context change the dynamics from
all of the instruments appear above the top stave.

What I want is for the individual instruments' dynamics to remain with
and apply to them, but simultaneously to allow any dynamics in the
normally invisible midiStaff to apply to all of them.  Is this possible?

David

On Tue, 2015-03-03 at 16:37 +0000, Kevin Barry wrote:
Hi David,

> I wasn't really able to make sense of everything you said. Have you
considered using a global variable that is in every staff? That can be
useful for adding things (you could put your invisible dynamics in it
for instance).

> As for your question about the mid context I'm not sure exactly what
you have done, but it sounds like it's just a standalone music
expression? I would need to see more code to be sure.