Re: exercises book

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: exercises book
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 21:17:46 -0800

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 11:00:32PM +0000, Carlo Vanoni wrote:
> Now, I'll like to have each exercise on a single line, or by the way control
> when to break. I'm able to avoid automatic break by adding \noBreak here and
> there, but in seems not like the best way to do it. Any better way to force,
> i.e., to break only after 5 bars for exercise1, 4 bars for exercise2, ...?
>
> Also, if an exercise won't be automatically breaked, it won't fill the page
> width. How to let every exercise to fill the page width? Tried ragged-last,
> ragged-last-bottom on \paper definition, but it didn't work.

Here is a function I received from this list that I think could
be of benefit to you:

noBreak =
#(define-music-function (parser location music) (ly:music?)
  #{ \temporary\override
       Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f
     #music
     \revert Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission
  #})

Its usage is:

\noBreak { \music }

around segments of \music where you wish to forbid line breaking.

Regarding the second point, you want ragged-right = ##f, as the
attached example shows.

HTH,

Jim