Re: Customizing staff to display Bohlen-Pierce scale?

From: txikitofandango
Subject: Re: Customizing staff to display Bohlen-Pierce scale?
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 13:09:03 -0700 (MST)

I've been meaning to share these results. Thanks again to Paul Morris, Keith O'Hara, Pierre Perol-Schneider, and everyone else who helped. The main file, bohlen-pierce.ly, depends on Paul's dashed.ly, also attached. Is it better to attach dependencies or paste them into the original file?

Lilypond should generate a MIDI file with each note mapping to a different MIDI pitch number. For my purposes, this works better than MIDI pitch bend over many channels. My synthesizer adjusts the playback speed of samples according to a pre-loaded tuning. This way, all the MIDI information can come over the same channel.

The 6-line staff is _a_ standard way to do it. I don't think the Bohlen-Pierce community has settled on one way. They only recently settled on the note names! I know this 6-line staff is gaining ground. The advantage is that the notes A through G fall on the treble staff on the line or space that you're used to, if you count from the bottom for low notes and from the top for high notes, which seems intuitive. I have kept to the standard (used by Stephen Fox and others) of the A above middle C being tuned close to 440 Hz (I like 432 Hz). Obviously, the MIDI file will not reflect this. A separation of one tritave between the right- and left-hand piano staves seems sufficient because you don't need that many ledger lines in the bass before you're in the infrasonic range. Some BP clarinetists prefer a 5-line notation that corresponds to the fingering system they're used to, but they're gradually switching to the 6-line notation. I haven't seen if key signatures work yet, but they should work in theory. Let me know if there's any questionable coding in there, or a better or simpler way to do things.

Still to do:
Dashed ledger lines
Add a BP symbol to the clef stencil
Add "9va" and "17va" marks that actually adjust playback by one and two tritaves, respectively

Nick Georgopoulos