Re: Subject: String Concatenation, and Use of Unicode characters [sic]

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: Subject: String Concatenation, and Use of Unicode characters [sic]
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:22:29 +0100

Il 03/03/15 07.56, Michael Hendry ha scritto:
Forgive me for suggesting, but I suggest it improves mental health to
think of transpose in the form:

    \transpose "to" "from" \musicExpression

This is what I do, too: I usually think of transpose as `\transpose "to" "from"` when tranposing instrumental parts from concert pitch to transposed pitch, and as `\transpose "from" "to"` in all other cases.

I used to think of the transposition in this way until I found a need to
transpose the whole piece to a different key (to accommodate a singer’s
range, for example), and I found the two ways of looking at
transposition tied my brain in knots.

Indeed looking at the same command in two ways might be a bit confusing, but I got used to it rather easily.

Ideally, I’d like to define the whole-piece transposition at the top of
the file, rather than editing the per-instrument transposition at the
point of book production.

You certainly do not need to change the individual transpositions in order to transpose an entire piece: nothing stops you from transposing music that has already been transposed, instead of editing each `\transpose` command.

When I need to transpose a piece I usually place `\transpose "from" "to"` just before the music expression inside `\score`.
Unless I need to change the octave of an instrument, this is sufficient.

E.g. if I needed to transpose this piece one tone up...

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \transpose bes, c \trumpetPartConcert
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff \pianoRight
      \new Staff \pianoLeft

  \layout { }
}

... I would simply write

\score {
  \transpose c d
  <<
    \new Staff \transpose bes, c \trumpetPartConcert
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff \pianoRight
      \new Staff \pianoLeft

  \layout { }