Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.18

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.18
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 13:38:04 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015, Wilbert Berendsen wrote:

Major installation changes:

* Python 3.2 and higher are supported and recommended. Of course you
 should also install PyQt4 and python-poppler-qt4 for Python 3.
 Python 2.7 is also supported, and will continue to be supported for
 all coming 2.x Frescobaldi releases.

* Frescobaldi now needs the python-ly package to be installed.
 Previously, this module was part of Frescobaldi.

 When you overwrite an older Frescobaldi installation, you should make
 sure that no old files remain in the file system. Otherwise,
 Frescobaldi can't run because it finds the old frescobaldi_app/ly
 module instead of the much newer one installed by Python-ly.

 So, installing python-ly[1] and doing a clean Frescobaldi install is
 necessary.  (The Windows Frescobaldi installer contains everything,
 including python-ly.)

Hi Wilbert,

I had some problems installing the new Frescobaldi on Linux Fedora 21.

- I usually build myself a new RPM package, starting from the src.rpm and
  spec file from the official last Fedora distribution. This time it
  failed. The Fedora packager will have to look at it, I could not find
  the correct fix myself.

- I then tried manual installation following the instructions from the
  INSTALL textfile. First I tried installing python-ly and frescobaldi
  using python3 (your recommendation on the Frescobaldi website). But when
  I tried to start frescobaldi it complained that python-ly was not
  installed or the wrong version - both not true on my system.

- Using Python 2.7 I can install and run Frescobaldi without problems now.

- I also noticed installing python-ly for both Python 2.x and 3.x is not
  possible in a straightforward way. If I install first using "pip install
  python-ly" and then "pip3 install python-ly" the last executable
  /usr/bin/ly will overwrite the first.

Maybe your recommendation to use Python3 is a little bit early. The Python developers team will not agree with me, but the python scripts that are part of the Lilypond distribution all still use Python 2.x for example. I haven't heard about plans to migrate to Python 3.x. And on Fedora I have both Python 2.7 and 3.4 installed. But the default python is still 2.7

BTW: did I already tell Frescobaldi 2.18 is great?

--

MT